Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mesopotamia, Babylon, and King Nebuchadnezzar

Our study of ancient civilizations is moving slowly.
This history curriculum is not Montessori, so there aren't any hands-on activities with it. It's straight forward information with questions at the end of each chapter. I've decided that if we breeze over something and Sean's not interested, that is OK. He will at least have been exposed to the information, and maybe the next chapter will spark his interest.

I wanted to illustrate for him how we get information from various sources, so I combined the study of Mesopotamia and Babylon with another book called, "Ancient Civilizations, The Illustrated Guide to Belief, Mythology and Art," and I've also flipped to some books in the Bible to read about Babylon and King Nebuchadnezzar.

We finished up this lesson last week. It wasn't really of much interest to him, but he listened and did what was required. He actually seemed more interested in ancient man and the lifestyle prior to settling into agriculture.

We are now starting on Egypt. I plan to use the same sources, and I'll ask him to find some others. I'm hoping this one will appeal to him more, since we were able to see the King Tut exhibit when it was in Seattle, and we have a DVD of King Tut's tomb, and there is so much more information about Egypt. I'm going to look for some hands-on work to go with the study of Egypt as well, in hopes that will get him excited about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment