Friday, December 17, 2010

A Wonderful Teacher

Sean's teacher taught in Nigeria before she was hired for the teaching position at the school, and this year his class is writing letters to her former students.
Last week I spent the day teaching interested students how to weave by using a stick, yarn and a 3 1/2 by 5 notecard. Monday I couldn't spend all day, but told her I would stay for about an hour.
I proofread her newsletter, which BTW is unbelievable. Her weekly newsletter averages 3 pages front and back, and she is GREAT. It is a big job, and I can't believe she does it every week. It's like writing a 3-page Christmas letter every week. She breaks it down by subjects and mentions children by name who have offered insight or who have modeled what they are learning.
It keeps parents more than informed, it makes me feel like I'm in the room sometimes.
She also has a list of events in the area, and uses a quote and one thing to do with your child for the week.
She also just passed her National Boards. She's young, and so committed to her students and the parents. I originally requested that Sean be in a specific teacher's classroom, but this teacher is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment