Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's all about the rhyme

Sean has hit that sensitive period for rhyming again. He has enjoyed playing rhyming games for a long time, but hadn't been into it for a while.  I tucked him into bed and he read "Goodnight Moon" to me tonight. Then we talked and he started by asking me questions. The first one was something like, "Have you ever known a man named Tim?" I said yes, and he said, "Well, I'd rather take a swim."
The game went on like that with some responses making sense and others completely off the wall. But they all rhymed. We took turns for a while, but I let him do most of them. I love those moments. I enjoy watching him come to these things naturally, and soak them up. He enjoys making up sentences with the same cadence of Dr. Suess too.
I remember playing similar games with my older kids when they were young. We camped once in the Cherokee National Forest and that night as we were all three in the tent waiting for sleep to take us, we did a round of storytelling. One would start the story, then stop and it was the next person's turn to pick it up and continue with the story. It was a lot of fun.
They both were good at it, and David wrote a poem that he performed at a Poetry Slam once when he was about 8 or 9. He also had one published in an anthology in 5th grade.
Jewel was a natural storyteller from a very early age. She was telling stories when she was about 3. Of course, maybe we all get it naturally. Southerners are known for their yarnin' abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment