Sunday, December 27, 2009

Stepping back


Sean loves to bake, and he especially loves to operate our mixer.
Here he is making chocolate chip cookies. I spooned them out and baked them, because he was too busy doing other things. They were "mouth watering good," he said.
Our Christmas season has been full. He has done a little bit of work, but most of December has been packed with activities and my deadlines.
I'm struggling with how to make this whole homeschool thing work, yet not completely kill myself in the process. I've decided I have to slow down, step back, and not put so much pressure on myself. That's first. Then I have to honestly evaluate if this is working for us.
I work very hard. Some weeks are just crazy, and it seems I'm at the computer almost 24-7. It is difficult for him because I can't give him the attention he wants. Then he starts getting distracted, making his way to the toy room, or bringing something into the work area.
Just when I start to think it isn't working, and internally I'm having a conversation with myself about what is best for both of us, and how I might not be giving him what he needs, it's like he's reading my mind.
Today he asked a question about when Jesus was born, and was it before the dinosaurs. I started to review with him what the first life forms were, and he proceeded to fill in the blanks of how the universe was formed, how the amoeba was the first life, and we had to have plants before dinosaurs so they would have something to eat, and people weren't on earth with dinosaurs, because they came after, etc.
And I thought, "What 7 yo in a public school knows that?" Maybe there are some, but I doubt they are getting it at school.
So we just keep doing what we do, and I keep hoping that I'm doing the right thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment