Thursday, January 11, 2018

Vitamin deficiencies are a real thing

I don't know how the time flew by so quickly, but it sure did. We are halfway through 9th grade already! Holy smokes.
With high school, the stakes are a little higher. We're talking about high school requirements and credits, and colleges, and majors, and careers, and goals.
The year started out kind of flat. We've been moving along, but slowly, and his interest wasn't there. He was uninterested in everything, and I couldn't seem to get him to engage with anything. He slept late, stayed up late, and talked to friends on his XBox, but even that didn't seem to do much for him.
He's always been respectful, and can hold a conversation on most any topic, at an adult level. He's a kid who understands so much more than a lot of adults I know.
So, I decided we should go to the doctor.
The doctor did a full blood panel, and we found out he was beyond low in Vitamin D3. He was almost at zero, and the lowest our doctor considers normal is 800.
I don't know how he did it, but he was in PE class at the YMCA twice a week, and was a trooper. He helped out around the house, and stocked fire wood, etc. when we asked him to, and he did it without complaint, but he wasn't usually very quick.
I feel so guilty for being frustrated some of the time, mostly when he wasn't willing to go on a hike, or some other activity, or when he stayed in bed so long. Gosh, how I wish I had taken him to the doctor as soon as the symptoms appeared, but I thought he was just being a typical teen.
Six weeks of mega doses of Vitamin D3, and some B12, and I've got a completely different kid!
So, if you've got a teen who seems disengaged, flat, moody, tired, and doesn't want to do much, you might want to get their blood work done to see if they have a vitamin deficiency. It's real, and the difference is astounding once they get the correct amount of vitamin levels in their blood stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment