Friday, October 10, 2014

The First Great Lesson and our Star--The Sun

While I was telling the First Great Lesson, Sean anticipated what was coming next. He has heard this story for 8 years, but I know that each time he hears it he hears something new, or makes a new discovery.

This time, I let it sit with him for a day, and then I showed him "Journey to the Stars," a DVD that I got for free from NASA way back when we were homeschooling for first grade. I had never opened it, and decided this was the year to do it. It's all about how our planet was formed, and how the Sun was formed and its relationship to Earth.

I was surprised by how much he already knows about the Sun, and planets, and how they were formed, etc.  The kit came with a teacher packet with suggestions for questions and extensions of learning for different age groups.

In case you are interested, here's a trailer for the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXGUl9DCWwA

Here's the website
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/07jun_journeytothestars/

No comments:

Post a Comment